2017 Norton V4 SS
- Engine type: Norton 72-degree liquid-cooled V4, 1200cc. Chain-driven cams with idler gear for reduced engine height. Titanium inlet valves. Slipper clutch
- Compression ratio: 13.6:1
- Displacement: 1200cc
- Power: 200bhp + @ 12,500rpm
- Cooling system: Liquid-cooled
- Torque: 130Nm @ 10,000rpm
- Bore x Stroke: 82mm x 56.8mm
- Euro 4: Full compliance including oil thermostat, knock sensors, secondary air injection and EVAP
- Fuel injection: Electronic fuel-injection system. Constantly variable inlet tracts. 8-fuel injectors. Full drive-by-wire system independent of front and rear banks of cylinders for ultimate control and feel
- Type: Aluminium twin tube chassis. Large sections of the frame CNC machined from aerospace grade billet. Billet machined outriggers from 7020 aluminium. Frame is hand Tig welded at the factory and hand polished to a mirror finish. Engine acts as a structural member.
- Adjustable geometry: Chassis is fully- adjustable including swingarm pivot and adjustable rake angle. 23.9 degree steering head angle as standard set-up.
- Single-sided billet swingarm: Braced and underslung design developed in conjunction with SG5 TT race bike. Billet machined from 7020 billet aluminium.
- Wheelbase: 1430mm
- Dry weight: 179kg
- Note: Chassis developed at world’s most rigorous race track - the Isle of Man TT.
- Front suspension: Ohlins NIX30 system front fork. Fully-adjustable.
- Rear suspension: Ohlins TTXGP Norton bespoke fully-adjustable rear shock.
- Steering damper: Ohlins damper
- Fork yokes: Billet machined top and bottom
- Wheels: Choice of carbon or forged wheels depending on chrome or carbon- fibre bike ordered
- Front brake: 2 x 330mm full-floating discs. Radially-mounted Brembo monobloc calipers. Brembo discs, and Brembo master cylinder
- Rear brake: Single 245mm disc. Brembo caliper and master-cylinder
- Instruments: Full-colour 7-inch HD display with multiple functions. Engine mode adjustability including: Road, Track and Pro-Race. Road modes include rear-view camera.
- Quickshift: Full quickshift system and auto down blipper
- Electronic aids: Multi-setting traction- control, wheelie control, launch control and cruise control. Uses six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
- Built-in datalogger: Full data-logging capability including: lap times, max lean angle, max speed, max throttle, and max braking force.
- Engine modes: Road, Sport, Pro-Race Ignition: Keyless ignition system
- Lighting: Full LED lighting system including super bright low beam & high beam, angel eye DRLs, rear lamps and indicators
- Fuel tank: Underseat MotoGP-style 18-litre fuel tank is all carbon-fibre, with Kevlar reinforcement and chemically coated internally.
- Bodywork: Full-carbon-fibre
- Colors: Carbon or Chrome Finish
- Footrests: Billet foot rests and billet pedals.
- Full titanium race system supplied with aftermarket tune, approx 8kg lighter and approx 10bhp more (thanks Euro 4!)
– NOTE: RACE EXHAUST NOT FOR ROAD USE
- Two Year Major Mechanical Warranty
V4 SS and RR differences, overview
The main differences between the SS and the RR are the billet frame, swingarm and foot controls.
While this doesn’t sound much please bear in mind a swingarm takes a full week of man hours to machine, weld and hand polish and starts as a 70kg billet that is machined down to 3kg!
The frame of the SS itself is a work of art and is made from a combination of billet parts and hand formed aerospace tubing. This is then hand welded and polished to a mirror finish. This takes 3 working weeks with the polishing alone being almost 20 hours!
The foot controls again are CNC machined from aerospace billet and polished to a mirror finish, these will be forged items on the RR while the swingarm and frame will be cast.
Also the SS comes with either chrome paint and forged wheels OR raw carbon bodywork with carbon wheels. The RR will be raw carbon with forged wheels, chrome paint and carbon wheels are available as an accessory at additional cost.
The full titanium race exhaust system is also standard on the SS, available as an accessory on the RR at £3950 plus taxes.
If you were to spec an RR to SS levels it would cost anywhere between 50-60k all in, so the SS is a bit of a bargain!